Final year agronomy students from the International Hellenic University of Thessaloniki , Solonas Samiotis and Nektarios Theofanous are taking PSI measurements from the landrace plots, and inputing data straight to the GIS database.
Last week on the fields was a hard, yet rewarding one!
This year, the contribution of GIAP (ICAC) members Hèctor A. Orengo, Arnau Garcia Molsosa and Giannis Apostolou, and IT expert Samuel King, made a great difference to our work in the fields! Thanks to their help and expertise, PhD candidate Alexandra Kriti, alongside a cohort of undergraduate students from the International Hellenic University (Greece) under her guidance, was able to digitally input all the measurements and observations registered in the experimental fields, from their android devices to a database, with GIS precision.
Moreover, another drone flight took place, with a successful establishment of DGPS points in the crops to achieve a faster, and more accurate, recording of the plants’ growth. We will now keep monitoring the crops and getting ready for the upcoming harvest season!
The project ‘DarkRevisited’ started its innovative experimental cultivations in 2020 at ELGO Demeter in Thermi, Thessaloniki, Greece, and in 2022 it is introducing precision experimental-agriculture to the world of archaeobotany!
Research funded by:
- The Aegean ‘Dark Ages’ revisited: a novel approach to old debates on agricultural economy and food culture (DarkRevisited), Spanish ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities. Project I+D+i (PID2019-107605GB-100)
- A. Livarda, Agencia Estatal de Investigación, Ramón y Cajal (RYC-2017-22105)
- H. Orengo, Agencia Estatal de Investigación, Ramón y Cajal (RYC-2016-19637)
Stay tuned for more updates on archaeobotany and our experimental cultivations! See other posts on the topic:
- New insights into past agriculture: a modern approach to exploring past agriculture with the aim of 3D Geometric Morphometrics
- New methods to explore past agriculture: Modern Experimental Cultivations and 3D Geometric Morphometrics
- Second year of successful harvesting in our experimental cultivations in Greece